Monday, April 23, 2012

Red & Black Fence Pots

I did these at the same time as the 3-Tiered Pots, because well I had the spray paint. We have an ugly privacy fence, that probably needs to be pressure washed/stained & replaced. So when I saw this, I thought oh! This will help cover up the dullness of the wood fence! As such, I opted to only do 6 rather than 9 pots. I figured I can always go back and swap them out.

Who I got the idea from: Shelterness

Time: 90 minutes

Shopping List:
6 Medium Sized Terracotta Pots
6 Flowers (I got two different kinds of annuals - two of each kind, because I like symmetry)
3 cans of spray paint (I went for Cherry Red, Black & White)
1 can Thompson Water Seal Spray
Painters Tape
Potting Soil
Cordless Drill

Instructions:

1. Cover where-ever your painting with painters cloth (your husband will be upset with you if you don't cover everything...scrubbing afterwords takes forever...)

2.  Spray your pots & dish with the Thompson Water Seal Spray. You may want to read the instructions and not spray before it rains & let it seal....or you can be lazy like me and just go for it.

3. Spray Paint the edges of the pots white and let dry. It's okay if you go over the edges a bit.  It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to dry, especially if you do this on a nice sunny day.

4.  Put painters tape around the white where you just painted. Be sure to just go on the edge. If you don't wait to let it dry...you'll have to redo.

5. Paint the large & small pots with red spray paint, and paint the middle pot & bottom 
saucer with black spray paint.  Let them dry.

6. Take off the painter's tape. 

7. Plant your flowers. So my flowers were too big for my pots, so I didn't need any extra soil. I actually needed less soil.

I had to stop here, because I didn't plan ahead, and order the pot latch things. The only place I could find that had them was Vat19.com

8. Screw the Pot Latches onto the wood fence (they should come with screws).

9. Latch your pots into place! Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment